About Portman Scott
Portman Scott Ltd (‘the Company’, ‘we’, ‘us’, ‘our’) is a recruitment business which provides work-finding services to its clients and work-seekers. In providing these services we must process personal data and in doing so, the Company acts as a data controller.
You may have given your personal details to the Company directly, such as on an application or registration form or via our Website, or we may have collected your personal details from another source, such as when you provide your CV to us through a CV database service or jobs board. For the purposes of providing you with work-finding services and/or information relating to roles relevant to you we will only use your personal data in accordance with the terms of the following statement.
1. Collection and use of personal data
a. Purpose of processing and legal basis
Portman Scott has collected your personal data and will process your personal data for the purposes of providing you with work-finding services. This includes for example, contacting you about job opportunities, assessing your suitability for those opportunities, updating our databases, putting you forward for job opportunities, and developing and managing our services and relationship with you and our clients. The legal bases we rely upon to offer these services to you are:
- Consent – Where you have provided your explicit consent for us to process your data
- Legitimate interest – Where we are unable to provide the work-finding services you have engaged us to undertake without processing your data
- Legal obligation – Where we are required to retain your personal data for legal reasons
- Contractual obligation – Where we are required to retain your personal data for contractual reasons
If you have opted-in, we may also send you marketing information and news via email/ text. You can opt-out from receiving these at any time by clicking “unsubscribe” when you receive these communications from us.
In some cases, we may be required to use your data for the purpose of investigating, reporting and detecting crime and also to comply with laws that apply to us. We may also use your information during the course of internal audits to demonstrate our compliance with certain industry standards.
b. Categories of data
Portman Scott has collected the following personal data on you:
Personal data – work-seekers:
- Your name, email and telephone number as provided on your CV application letter
- Your employment and education history as provided on your CV or application letter
- Your current salary and salary requirements if provided on your CV or application letter
- Any other personal information that you may have provided on your CV or application letter, such as your home address, personal website and details of any further training or qualifications you may have undertaken
Personal data – clients:
- Your name, position within your business, business email and business and/or personal telephone numbers for the purposes of providing you and your business with our services
c. Legitimate interest
Where we have relied on a legitimate interest to process your personal data our legitimate interests are as follows:
- In order to provide you the work-seeker with our work-finding services we need to process your personal data. Any information you send us on your CV or application letter will be processed in order to determine your suitability for the role you are applying to. We may also process your personal data in order to match you with any other suitable jobs we may be advertising, or to contact you to seek your consent where we need it. We will not provide your CV or personal data to any of our clients without your consent.
d. Recipient/s of data
The Company will process your personal data with the following recipients:
- In order to provide our services, we may process your personal data with our clients, but will only do so after first obtaining your consent. No personal data will be provided to any prospective employer without prior consultation with you the work-seeker.
e. Statutory/contractual requirement
- Portman Scott has certain legal and contractual requirements to collect personal data (e.g. to comply with the Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003, immigration and tax legislation, and in some circumstances safeguarding requirements.) Our clients may also require this personal data, and/or we may need your data to enter into a contract with you. If you do not give us personal data, we need to collect we may not be able to continue to provide work-finding services to you.
2. Source of the personal data
Portman Scott has sourced your personal data by one or more of the following means:
- From a CV or application letter that you have sent to us directly by email or via our Website
- From a CV or application letter that you have sent to us indirectly through a 3rd party job board (eg: LinkedIn, Reed.co.uk, Guardian Jobs)
- From a 3rd party CV database service or job board where you have uploaded your profile and CV for work-seeking purposes (eg: Reed.co.uk or Guardian Jobs)
3. Data retention
Portman Scott will retain your personal data only for as long as is necessary. Different laws require us to keep different data for different periods of time.
The Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003, require us to keep work-seeker records for at least one year from (a) the date of their creation or (b) after the date on which we last provide you with work-finding services. In order to provide the best service possible, Portman Scott will keep work-seeker records for two years from (a) the date of their creation or (b) after the date on which we last provide you with work-finding services.
If your application is successful and you are placed with one of our clients, we will retain a record this placement indefinitely.
Where we have obtained your consent to process your personal data, we will do so in line with this retention policy and retain your personal data for a maximum of two years. Upon expiry of that period we will seek further consent from you. Where consent is not granted we will cease to process your personal data. Providing we are not legally or contractually obliged to retain your personal data, you have the right to request that your personal data be erased at any time after one year.
4. Your rights
Please be aware that you have the following data protection rights:
- The right to be informed about the personal data the Company processes on you;
- The right of access to the personal data the Company processes on you;
- The right to rectification of your personal data;
- The right to erasure of your personal data in certain circumstances;
- The right to restrict processing of your personal data;
- The right to data portability in certain circumstances;
- The right to object to the processing of your personal data that was based on a public or legitimate interest;
- The right not to be subjected to automated decision making and profiling; and
- The right to withdraw consent at any time.
5. Complaints, queries and withdrawal of consent
Where you have consented to Portman Scott processing your personal data you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time. Please note that if you withdraw your consent to further processing that does not affect any processing done prior to the withdrawal of that consent, or which is done according to another legal basis. There may be circumstances where we will still need to process your data for legal or official reasons. Where this is the case, we will tell you and we will restrict the data to only what is necessary for those specific reasons.
If you wish to withdraw your consent, or complain about or query this privacy notice or any of the procedures set out in it please contact:
Suite 4B, 43 Berkeley Square
T: 020 3290 5301
You also have the right to raise concerns with Information Commissioner’s Office on 03031231113 or at ico.org.uk/concerns, or any other relevant supervisory authority should your personal data be processed outside of the UK, if you believe that your data protection rights have not been adhered to.
Portman Scott is registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office, registration number ZA338357.
This privacy notice was last updated on 1 August 2018.